Since the fifth day after the start of the January 25th Revolution, the strategy of the Muslim Brotherhood and their political arm, “The Justice and Freedom Party”, has been based on lies and deception. Such a strategy is not based on intelligence, rationale, or clever thinking. The revolution ended by replacing one authoritarian regime with another.
The new constitution has been ratified by 63% of voters, according to the national election committee. There have been reports issued by journalists, human rights organizations, and some judicial observers, that claim that the election was rigged by representatives of the Muslim Brotherhood at polling stations. It has also been reported that some Copts were prevented from entering polling stations. Others waited in line for more than eight hours and in the end were unable to vote.
It is unfortunate to point out that President Morsi and his Muslim Brotherhood supporters have played an exclusive role by preventing opposition political groups from participating in drafting the constitution, which has led to the following results:
First, the committee that drafted the constitution did not represent the majority of the Egyptian population. 75% of the 100 members were representative of Islamist political groups. The other 25% were not able to participate, which led them to resign from the committee.
Second, the committee that drafted the constitution was illegally appointed by the dissolved parliament that consisted of a majority of Islamist political members. As a matter of fact, during his political campaign, President Morsi promised to dissolve that committee and create a new one that would be more representative of the various segments of the Egyptian population.
After his election, Morsi failed to implement what he promised those who elected him. This was not the first violation, nor was it the last of the Muslim Brotherhood’s lies.
Third, the new constitution ahs been poorly drafted and does not represent all groups within Egyptian society. The constitution has been framed by more Islamic criteria than secular ones.
Fourth, minorities such as Copts, women and children are not protected or treated equally.
Fifth, the newly approved constitution will lead to a new stage of conflict, which will further enhance instability and increase violence in Egyptian society.
Sixth, the new constitution has polarized the split of Egyptian society into two major political opponents: conservative Islamists vs. liberal secular Muslim and Christian groups. This is the result of the Muslim Brotherhood’s political strategy that is based on excluding others from sharing political power.
Seventh, 30% only of the eligible voters have participated in the election. From a legal point of view, the new constitution should be rejected and a new one should be drafted. Moreover, the drafting committee should represent the Egyptian society as a whole.